Salary: $16.00 per hour – $17.13 per hour when training/work hour requirements met
32 – 40 hrs. per week
Essential Functions: Insure the overall health and safety of consumers and strive to have consumers understand and exercise their rights to the fullest extent possible. Provide training to consumers in the development of independent living skills including but not limited to, instruction in social skills, meal preparation, money management, sexuality, and hygiene.
- At least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED/equivalent
- Valid New Jersey non-probation/non-provisional driver’s license
- Successful completion of background check and drug test
Post offer requirements:
- Successful completion of all training, as required
- Post offer physical
- Negative Mantoux/chest x-ray every year
- Must continue to hold a valid New Jersey non-probation/non-provisional driver’s license
- Experience in working with the developmentally disabled is preferred, but not required
- Must be able to respectfully communicate well in English, both verbally and in writing with consumers, all levels of staff, family members and other persons in the community
- Must be able to use good judgment in dealing with consumer issues/emergencies, as well as staff related issues
- Must work well independently and maintain a good working relationship with supervisor.
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure a secure, maintained home be setting high standard for routine home and vehicle maintenance, including a focus on preventative maintenance and reporting repairs in a timely manner
- Teaching daily living skills as detailed in the consumer’s IHP
- Protecting their rights, teaching them to exercise their rights, and supporting them to live up to their responsibilities
- Assisting consumers in maintaining a routine of communal living by serving as a supportive companion, advocate and teacher to each consumer by providing effective on-sight training
- Transport consumers as required
- As assigned, providing the appropriate level of support needed to plan and prepare well-balanced meals and complete grocery shopping
Work is active and is performed within the consumer’s home as well as in the community. The behavior of consumers may change dramatically due to environmental or medical conditions among others, which may, at times, create hazardous situations. Lifting of heavy objects, or persons may be required. You may be required to drive large vehicles. You may have exposure to individuals with Hepatitis B, a blood borne pathogen. You may provide individual support offered in a dignified fashion in the areas of toileting, showering, menstruation, and any other areas of hygiene, ranging from intermittent to pervasive levels.